HOOPESTON SWIMMING POOL & SPLASH PAD
The McFerren Park Swimming Pool is now closed. We will reopen in May of 2024 for the swim season. Thank you for a wonderful swim season!
Questions: Please call 217-283-7215 or visit our Facebook Page at https://www.facebook.com/HoopestonPublicPool
LIFEGUARD’S and ASSISTANT MANAGER’S WANTED:
The City of Hoopeston has openings for temporary summer position’s of Lifeguard and Assistant Manager for the Hoopeston Public Swimming Pool and Splash Pad located in McFerren Park.
Lifeguard Job Description
The primary duty of a lifeguard is to ensure the safety of visitors to the Hoopeston Public Swimming Pool and Splash Pad. In this role, lifeguards enforce safety rules, monitor the water for danger, and rescue swimmers. They also conduct CPR on swimmers who have inhaled water and maintain records of incidents that occur at the pool. Lifeguards must pay excellent attention to their surroundings, and strong swimming skills are a necessity.
Lifeguard’s report directly to the Pool Manager and Assistant Manager’s.
LIFEGUARD DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee swimmer safety through swimmer supervision and enforcement of pool rules and regulations
- Conduct rescue operations for in distress swimmers following water safety training guidelines
- Support pool activities organized in and around the pool or splash bad including pool parties, lessons, and community events
- Perform maintenance and upkeep in and around the pool and splash pad
- Perform other duties as required by the manager
LIFEGUARD REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Pre-employment drug screen that will be scheduled by the City
- Minimum of 15 years old (with youth work permit)
- Current CPR, First Aid, and AED certifications (City will have information on certification classes at a later date)
- Able to work a minimum of 10 hours per week
- Swimming – observations skills – attention to detail – emergency response skills – if a swimmer is in danger, lifeguards need to calmly assess the situation and make critical decisions to provide assistance, so strong judgment and response skills are necessary
- Communication skills – lifeguards need to effectively communicate with visitors and other lifeguards, so strong verbal communcation skills are another requirement
Assistant Manager Job Description
The assistant manager will help oversee the efficient and effective use of the Hoopeston Public Swimming Pool and Splash Pad located in McFerren Park. While the pool manager is responsible for all duties relatexd to the daily safe operation of the swimming pool, the assistant manager will perform thses duties in the absence of the manager, or those duties delegated by the manager. This includes but is not limited to: scheduling and supervising employees; training new staff; supervising lifeguards; inspecting equipment; daily water testing; supervision of concession employees and daily inventory of concession stand; scheduling parties and events; public relations; and supervising facilities and pool rules to ensure the safety of pool and splashpad patrons. During busy hours the assistant manager will also walk around the pool areas to enforce pool rules and policies and provide increased supervision of the public and staff. Administrative duties include developing programs and services to the public to increase pool use; selling and distributing pool passes; maintaining supplies for the pool, splashpad, and concessions; documenting the number of daily visitors; requesting repairs or services, developing new safety policies to ensure the safe use of the facilities.
ASSISTANT MANAGER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage staff and staff schedules (lifeguards, concessions, front desk)
- Hire and train new staff in daily duties (certification in safety for personnel will be provided by trained American Red Cross Instructors)
- Oversee lifeguards
- Inspect facilities for repairs and maintenance, conduct daily review of chemical balance of the pool
- Keep accurate records of visitors, financers, and pool passes
- Report problems and request service calls
ASSISTANT MANAGER REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- A highschool diploma or equivalent
- Pre-employment drug screen and background check
- 21 years old (for each year of experience as a lifeguard the age requirement may be reduced, with a minimum age of 18 required)
- 2 years of experience in supervisory roles
- Current CPR, First Aid, and AED certifications (City will have more information about certification classes at a later date)
- Positive communication skills, problem-solving skills, organizational skills and a desire to work with the public (of all ages, abilities, and backgrounds)
Application deadline is Friday, February 23rd, 2024.
WAGE AND BENEFITS WILL BE DISCUSSED AT THE TIME OF INTERVIEW
If interested in the position, apply online at this website or you may apply in person at the Hoopeston City Hall
Questions, please contact City Hall at 217-283-5833
APPLICATION LINK: www.cityofhoopeston.com/employment/ or you can access the application by going to the SERVICES tab then click on Employment Opportunities.
The Hoopeston municipal pool is located inside McFerren Park, just off Route 1.
The pool features a depth ranging from 3 feet to 13 feet, low dive, and high dive. A Splash Pad has been added, an addition enjoyable for kids of all ages.
Locker rental and swim lessons are available.
All lifeguards are certified in first aid, CPR-AED and lifeguarding.
- Open swim: CLOSED
SEASON PASS PRICES:
- 1 Person – $100.00
- $50.00 for each additional person
- $5.00 per person
- 4 years and under FREE
- $100 per hour
- Includes Lifeguards
To schedule a Pool Party, call 217-283-7215
SPLASH PAD: CLOSED
- FREE to the public until noon
- Open to patrons during open swim: noon-5 pm